Steps to reaching financial freedom
Setting goals is key to getting where you want to be in life. After all if you do not have a goal, how will you know where to go? Yet goals alone are not enough, for to achieve them requires action. As the saying goes, if you want to win the lottery you have to buy a ticket.
Action requires movement, it requires doing things, giving up other things. It requires following through on what you started.
Below is an action list I set for myself and followed through on that resulted in my quitting my corporate job and succeeding in my own business. It is the same list have recommended to many of my business coaching clients effectively producing concrete results.
- Set your goal. What is it that you want to achieve? Do you want to open your own business or do you want to advance in your corporate career?
- Set a timeline by which you want to achieve this goal, be realistic but also be optimistic.
- Write a list of what it would take for you to reach the goal. Write down what you would need to do and also what you would need to stop doing.
- Write down how you would know that you have reached your goal, for example, if you need to have a certain amount of money in the bank or a certain customer base, write down what that is.
- Decide what aspects of your life must become aligned in order of you to reach your goal. For me, my health had to be good and I needed to make a certain amount of money each month until I could quit my corporate job.
- Come up with a list of resources: friends, colleagues, relatives who can support you either financially, emotionally, through mentoring or through introducing you to the right people.
- Invest time and money into your business. Watch training videos, read a book, hire a business coach, a marketing consultant or any other professional that will help you reach your goal as quickly as possible using the resources you have.
- Invest time and money into yourself – your physical and mental health, your education, your sporting equipment, etc. Burnout is real and you must have an action plan on how to avoid burnout.
- Follow through on each and every promise to yourself and your clients. Do not procrastinate.